Growing up in Canada, my mom always used to bake us this classic crumble cake—a moist yogurt-based cake packed with the light tangy flavour of green apples and topped with an irresistible buttery pecan, cinnamon and brown sugar crumble. I usually serve this cake with some vanilla ice cream on the side for dessert, and if there are any leftovers, I love to indulge in a slice for breakfast with a cup of freshly brewed coffee.
This one of those recipes I loved to prepare for my friends and family and over the year it has become one of those recipes the kids love to prepare with me. Sharing this family favourite for you to enjoy with your family.
Basic Ingredients for Apple Crumble Cake
Flour: Flour provides structure to baked goods as it acts as a binding ingredient. Different types of flour can be used to achieve different textures in baked goods.
Leaveners: Leavening agents help the cake rise and become light and fluffy. The type of leavening agent used will affect the final texture and flavor of the baked good.
Sugar: Sugar contributes to the flavour of baked goods and also helps with caramelization, which gives baked goods a golden color and added sweetness. Different types of sugar can be used to achieve different textures and flavors in baked goods.
Salt: Salt enhances the flavour of baked goods by bringing out other flavours and balancing sweetness.
Dairy: Dairy such as milk, cream, and butter add moisture and richness to baked goods. Dairy also helps to create a tender crumb and contributes to the flavor of baked goods.
Fats (Oil and Shortening): Fat is an essential ingredient in baking as it affects the flavour, texture, moisture content, and overall quality of the final product.
Add Ins: Baking with the basics is a wonderful way to cook and bake, but it doesn’t have to be boring. On this recipe, I used the granny smith apple to add an extra kick of flavour.
Butter: Can be substituted with coconut oil or margarine.
Sugar: Can be substituted with brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey.
Eggs: Can be substituted with flax or chia eggs (1 tbsp of ground flax/chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water per egg).
Vanilla: Can be substituted with vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.
Baking powder: Can be substituted with cream of tartar and baking soda.
Baking soda: Can be substituted with double-acting baking powder.
Yoghurt: Can be substituted with sour cream or labneh.
Apples: Can be substituted with 3 cups of other fruit such as peaches or pears.
Cinnamon: Can be substituted with nutmeg, ginger, or allspice.
Pecans: Can be substituted with other nuts such as almonds or walnuts.
Serving Tips for Apple Crumble Cake
- Ideally serve apple crumble cake when it is warm from the oven and serve with a scoop of ice cream for a decadent dessert experience.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of each slice of cake for an extra layer of sweetness.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee for an afternoon treat.
Room temperature storage: If you plan to consume the cake within a day or two, you can store it at room temperature. Cover it with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
Refrigerator storage: If you want to store the cake for a longer time, you can place it in the refrigerator. Cover it with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent it from absorbing any odors from the refrigerator.
Apple Crumble Cake (Full Video)
Apple Crumble Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 3 cup finely chopped granny smith (or green) apples
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 pcs apple granny smith (or green) apple, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven at 180°C. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and dust with flour, alternatively line the cake pan with wax paper.
- In a medium bowl, prepare dry mixture by sifting together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a stand mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar. Then add the eggs and vanilla essence and beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and yogurt to creamed mixture. Don’t over-mix the batter, as not to take the air out of the dry mixture. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and using a spatula, fold in apples. Pour the batter into the cake pan, and spread evenly.
- To make the crumble topping, melt the butter in a small heavy-bottom saucepan on medium heat. Add the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon powder, and mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over batter, and place the apple slices on top in a circular design.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes, or until cake is well done.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @cookingwithzahra on Instagram and hashtag it #cookingwithzahra so we can see all the deliciousness!