Calrose rice with Vermicelli Noodles is a classic and simple recipe that is loved by many. This dish is a staple in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine and can be enjoyed as a side dish. The combination of fluffy Calrose rice and vermicelli noodles creates a delicious texture that is complemented by the subtle aroma and flavour of cardamom.
Basic Ingredients for Calrose Rice with Vermicelli Noodles
Calrose Rice: This medium-grain rice is a popular choice for Asian and Mediterranean cuisine. It is known for its fluffy texture and ability to absorb flavours well. It is important to rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking to remove any excess starch.
Vermicelli Noodles: These thin, delicate noodles are made from wheat flour and are commonly used in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. They add a nice crunch to the dish and complement the soft texture of the rice.
Vegetable Oil: This is used to sauté the vermicelli noodles before cooking them with the rice.
Cardamom Pods: These small, green pods are known for their aromatic and slightly sweet flavour. They add a subtle depth of flavour to the dish and can be removed before serving.
Salt: This is added to enhance the flavour of the dish.
Jasmine Rice: This long-grain rice has a fragrant aroma and a slightly sticky texture, making it a great alternative to Calrose rice.
Ghee: This clarified butter can be used instead of vegetable oil to sauté the noodles.
Serving Tips for Calrose Rice with Vermicelli Noodles
- Calrose and Vermicelli Rice with Cardamom can be served as a side dish. It pairs well with traditional Middle Eastern dishes such as Bamiah (Okra stew), Molokhia Molokhia with Roasted Chicken or Basila (Pea and Lamb stew)
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, add a splash of water to the rice and noodles and microwave for a few minutes, or heat in a covered pan on the stove over low heat until heated through.
Calrose Rice with Vermicelli Noodles
- 3 cups Calrose rice
- 2/3 cup vermicelli noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cardamom pods (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- Wash and rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear, and soak for 30 minutes. Then rinse, drain, and keep aside.
- In a medium-sized, non-stick pot, fry the vermicelli noodles in vegetable oil on medium heat. Once the noodles have been browned, add the rice and stir for a few minutes. Add 3 cups water, salt, and cardamom pods, and bring to a boil. Then cover and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat, until the rice and noodles are cooked.