Indulge your senses in the delightful world of homemade Cinnamon Rolls with a luscious Pecan and Brown Sugar filling. These delectable treats are a perfect blend of soft, pillowy dough, warm cinnamon, rich brown sugar, and crunchy pecans, all generously smothered in a creamy Cream Cheese filling. The combination of these sweet and savoury flavours creates a mouthwatering experience that’s hard to resist.
The process begins with a basic dough, where all-purpose flour, active yeast, sugar, butter, milk, eggs, and a pinch of salt come together to form the perfect foundation for these rolls. After a period of patient rising, the dough is rolled out into a large rectangle, generously spread with softened butter, and then covered with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. This filling not only adds a sweet, aromatic twist but also introduces a delightful crunch to each bite.
The dough is gently rolled into a log and cut it into individual pieces, that are then placed in a buttered baking pan and allowed to rest once more before baking until they achieve a tantalising golden-brown hue.
A heavenly Cream Cheese filling made with cream cheese, softened butter, icing sugar, and a touch of vanilla extract is generously spread over the freshly baked cinnamon rolls, creating an irresistible blend of sweet, tangy, and creamy goodness.
Whether enjoyed fresh out of the oven or reheated, these Cinnamon Rolls with Pecan and Brown Sugar filling are a culinary masterpiece that promises to delight your taste buds and warm your heart. So, get ready to savour every decadent bite of this homemade delight and elevate your baking prowess to new heights.
Basic Ingredients for Cinnamon Rolls
All-Purpose Flour: The primary structure of the cinnamon rolls, providing the necessary gluten for a soft, bread-like texture.
Active Yeast: The leavening agent that helps the dough rise and become light and fluffy.
Water: Activates the yeast and helps create the right dough consistency.
Caster Sugar: Adds sweetness to the dough and feeds the yeast during the rising process.
Salted Butter: Adds flavor and richness to the dough, enhancing its overall taste.
Milk: Provides moisture and richness to the dough, resulting in a tender texture.
Eggs: Add richness, flavor, and structure to the dough.
Salt: Enhances the flavor of the dough and balances the sweetness.
Brown Sugar: Offers a deep, caramel-like sweetness and moisture to the filling.
Cinnamon Powder: Infuses the rolls with warm, aromatic spice.
Butter: Creates a luscious, gooey texture in the filling.
Pecans: Provide a delightful crunch and a nutty, buttery flavor to complement the sweetness.
Cream Cheese Filling:
Cream Cheese: Imparts a tangy, creamy contrast to the sweetness of the rolls.
Butter: Adds richness and smoothness to the cream cheese filling.
Icing Sugar: Sweetens and thickens the filling.
Vanilla Extract: Enhances the flavor with a hint of vanilla sweetness.
- For a dairy-free version, you can substitute almond or soy milk for regular milk and use dairy-free butter and cream cheese.
- Whole wheat flour can be used for a slightly healthier twist on the dough.
- If you prefer a less sweet filling, reduce the amount of brown sugar or use a sugar substitute.
- Feel free to experiment with different nuts like walnuts or almonds in place of pecans.
Preparation Tips for Cinnamon Rolls
- Ensure your yeast is fresh and active; otherwise, the dough won’t rise properly.
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic, which helps create a tender texture.
- When rolling out the dough, keep it evenly thick to ensure uniform cooking.
- Use dental floss or a sharp knife to cut the rolls for clean, even slices.
- Allow enough time for the dough to rise to achieve that light, fluffy texture.
Serving Tips for Cinnamon Rolls
- Serve your cinnamon rolls warm, as they are best enjoyed fresh from the oven.
- Drizzle the cream cheese filling generously over the rolls just before serving.
- Pair with a hot cup of coffee, tea, or a glass of cold milk for a delightful treat.
- Consider adding a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of caramel sauce for extra flair.
- Cinnamon rolls are best when freshly baked, but you can store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
- For longer storage, freeze the rolls without the cream cheese filling in an airtight container. Reheat in the oven when ready to enjoy.
- If you have extra cream cheese filling, store it separately in the refrigerator and use it within a week.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp active yeast
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- ¾ cup milk, hand warm
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup pecan, chopped
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a stand mixer bowl combine the active yeast,1 tbsp of sugar and water. Gently stir the ingredients together. Cover with a kitchen towel and let is stand for 10 minutes until the yeast activate and formed bubbles. Add flour, eggs, butter and the rest of the sugar and salt. With a dough hood attachment combine the ingredient together until the dough pulls together. If the dough is too sticky and is stuck to the bottom of the bowl, simply add a couple tablespoons of flour and this should do the trick.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel or cling wrap and allow to rest for 1 ½ hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Dust your counter with flour and roll the dough into a rectangular shape (approximately 14 inch by 9 inches). Spread the soften butter in the dough.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the buttered dough and top with pecans, and with you had pat down the mixture to make sure it is evenly spread.
- Gentle roll the dough into a log shape. Cut the long into 1 inch sections with a knife or a floss thread. You should get between 9 to 11 pieces.
- Place the cinnamon rolls in a 9 inch baking pan coated with butter. Cover the pan with cling wrap or a kitchen towel and allow it to rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat your oven at 180°C. Bake the cinnamon rolls for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until they are slightly browned on the edges.
- To prepare the frosting, in a stand mixed bowl combine the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and apply a generous about of the frosting and enjoy warm.