This Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich with Homemade Olive Tapenade is a delightful and versatile dish that every mom needs in her recipe arsenal. When you’re a busy parent, finding quick, delicious, and kid-friendly meals is a top priority. Whether you’re packing lunch boxes, craving a tasty after-school snack, or simply short on time but longing for something scrumptious, this sandwich is the perfect solution. It’s not only quick and easy to prepare but also offers a burst of flavours that will leave your kids asking for more.
Basic Ingredients for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
High-Quality Sourdough Bread: High-quality sourdough bread provides a robust and slightly tangy flavour profile that complements the other ingredients. It also offers a sturdy texture that holds up well to grilling.
Unsalted Butter: Butter is essential for creating that perfect golden-brown crust and adds a rich, buttery flavour to the sandwich. Using unsalted butter allows you to control the saltiness of the dish.
Ripe Tomato: Thinly sliced ripe tomatoes add freshness, juiciness, and a subtle sweetness to the sandwich. They contrast the rich cheese and tapenade, balancing the flavours.
Mozzarella Cheese: Mozzarella cheese is chosen for its mild, creamy taste and exceptional reliability. It creates that classic stringy, gooey texture that kids adore in grilled cheese sandwiches.
Homemade Olive Tapenade: The homemade olive tapenade serves as a flavourful spread that elevates the sandwich. It contributes a briny, salty, and slightly tangy element, making each bite more exciting.
Preparation Tips for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature to ensure easy spreading and even cooking.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the tomatoes thinly and evenly for better sandwich assembly.
- Grate or shred the Mozzarella cheese for quicker and more even melting.
Serving Tips for Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
- Serve the grilled cheese and tomato sandwich immediately to enjoy it at its best while the cheese is gooey and the bread is crispy.
- Pair it with a side of mixed greens, a small salad, or some pickles for a well-rounded meal.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches are best enjoyed fresh and hot. If you have leftover sandwiches, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a toaster or on a skillet to maintain their texture.
- For prepping ahead, you can make the olive tapenade in advance and keep it refrigerated for up to a week.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich with Homemade Olive Tapenade
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp home made olive tapenade
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozarella cheese
Prepare the Sandwich
- Spread olive tapenade evenly on one side of each slice of sourdough bread.
- On one slice, layer Mozzarella cheese over the tapenade.
- Arrange the thinly sliced tomatoes over the cheese.
- Top with the second slice of bread, tapenade side down, and press gently to adhere.
Grill the Sandwich
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Spread a tablespoon of butter on the outer side of one slice of sourdough bread and place it buttered side down in the pan.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of butter on the outer side of the top slice of bread.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on one side or until it turns golden brown and crispy.
- Carefully flip the sandwich and grill the other side for another 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a cutting board. Slice in half and serve immediately.