Grilled Peach Salad with Rocket and Feta Cheese is a delightful exploration of flavours and textures. This salad is a symphony of fresh, vibrant ingredients harmoniously coming together to create a summer dish that is as visually appealing as it is tantalising to the palate.
The sweetness of ripe, juicy peaches, caramelised and enriched by the grilling process, is juxtaposed with the peppery bite of fresh rocket leaves, also known as arugula. Pecans contribute a buttery crunch that complements the softness of the peaches and the slight bite of the rocket, while the feta cheese brings a creamy tanginess that beautifully binds all the flavours together.
The dressing is a melody of its own, with virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar forming a well-balanced base, elevated by the sharpness of Dijon mustard, the sweet fruitiness of raspberry jam, and seasoned with pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Whether served as a light lunch, an appetiser, or a side dish at a barbecue, this Grilled Peach Salad with Rocket and Feta Cheese will not only please the eyes but also satisfy the most demanding taste buds. The combination of these simple, fresh ingredients, along with the rich and vibrant dressing, makes this salad a versatile and delicious choice for any occasion.
Enjoy the step-by-step instructions below that guide you through the process of creating this flavourful and colourful salad in your own kitchen. Bon appétit!
Basic Ingredients for Grilled Peach Salad
Peaches: The star of this salad, peaches bring sweetness and a juicy texture. When grilled, they develop a beautiful caramelization that enhances their flavour.
Rocket leaves (Arugula): Rocket leaves contribute a peppery flavour and a crunchy texture, balancing the sweetness of the peaches.
Pecans: Pecans add a delightful crunch and a subtle buttery flavour.
Feta Cheese: The tangy, salty flavour of feta cheese complements the sweet peaches and balances the overall flavour profile of the salad.
Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar: The base of the dressing providing a harmonious blend of richness and acidity.
Dijon Mustard and Raspberry Jam: The mustard adds a spicy tang, while the raspberry jam brings a touch of sweetness to the dressing.
Pink Salt and Black Pepper: They season the dressing, enhancing all the flavours.
- Grilling Peaches: Ensure the peaches are ripe but firm, as overly ripe peaches can become mushy when grilled.
- Dressing: Make sure to whisk the dressing well until it emulsifies, which means it becomes a smooth, thick mixture.
- Serve the salad chilled: Refrigerate the salad for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Arrange the ingredients artfully: Arrange the rocket leaves, grilled peaches, pecans, and feta cheese in an aesthetically pleasing manner on a large platter or individual plates.
- Drizzle with dressing: Drizzle the salad dressing over the top of the salad just before serving. Be careful not to add too much dressing as it can overpower the other flavors.
- Add some protein: For a heartier salad, you can add some grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu to the salad.
- Serve with crusty bread: Serve the salad with some crusty bread on the side to soak up the delicious dressing.
Store the salad and dressing separately: To prevent the salad from becoming soggy, store the salad ingredients and dressing separately in airtight containers.
Refrigerate promptly: After preparing the salad, refrigerate it promptly to prevent bacterial growth. It’s best to consume the salad within 2-3 days of preparation.
Keep the pecans and feta cheese separate: If you’re planning to store the salad for a longer period, it’s best to keep the pecans and feta cheese separate from the other ingredients. Add them just before serving to maintain their crunchiness and flavor.
Re-dress the salad before serving: If the salad has been refrigerated for a while, the dressing may have settled at the bottom of the container. Before serving, give the dressing a good shake or stir and re-dress the salad to ensure that it’s evenly coated.
Serve chilled: If you’re serving the salad after refrigerating it, allow it to come to room temperature for a few minutes before serving, or serve it chilled straight from the refrigerator.
Grilled Peach Salad
- ½ cup virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam (or honey)
- pink salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 ripe peaches, pitted and halved
- 150 g rocket leaves
- ⅓ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup soft feta cheese, crumbled
- For the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients together until it has emulsified and are well combined.
- Brush the dressing on the peaches. Preheat a skillet on medium–high heat, and grill each side of the peaches for 2–3 minutes or until the pieces are soft and have grill marks.
- In a large bowl, toss the rocket leaves with the salad dressing until all the leaves are lightly coated. Layer the rocket leaves onto a large platter and top with pecans, grilled peaches, and feta cheese, and serve.