Growing up, the delightful aroma and taste of Qamar al-Din were always synonymous with the holy month of Ramadan. This traditional beverage, a true family favourite, has a special place in my heart as it reminds me of the cherished moments spent with my loved ones, breaking our fasts together. Made with apricot paste and infused with a hint of orange blossom water, this sweet and refreshing drink is the perfect way to end a day of fasting. Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate the unique flavour and soothing properties of Qamar al-Din even more. Today, I am excited to share this treasured family recipe with you so that you can create beautiful memories and enjoy this delicious Ramadan favourite with your family and friends.
Basic Ingredients for Qamar al-Din
Qamaradeen Paste: Made from dried apricots, this paste is the main component of the juice, giving it its distinct apricot flavour and a rich, slightly thick consistency.
Sugar: Adds sweetness to the juice, balancing the tartness of the apricots.
Boiling Water: Helps dissolve the apricot paste and sugar, creating a smooth liquid base.
Orange blossom water: Optional ingredient that enhances the flavour of the juice with a floral note.
Lemon Juice: Adds a touch of acidity to the juice, bringing out the apricot flavour.
Pine Nuts: A garnish that adds texture and a subtle nutty flavour to the drink.
- Be patient while soaking the Qamar al-Din paste, giving it enough time to dissolve completely.
- Use a blender to ensure a smooth texture and proper incorporation of all ingredients.
- Store the prepared Qamar al-Din juice in an airtight container or pitcher in the refrigerator.
- Consume within 3-4 days for optimal freshness and flavour.
- 1 pack (400g) qamar al-din paste
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 5 cups boiling water
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water(optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pine nuts , (for garnish)
- Cut the sheets of qamar al-din paste into small squares. Place the cut qamar al-din and sugar into a medium-sized bowl and add about 5 cups of boiling water. Allow the ingredients to soak for about 1 hour until the apricots paste has dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and orange blossom. With a blender, blend ingredients until they have fully combined and the texture of the juice is smooth.
- Pour the beverage into a jug and chill in the fridge. Serve cold with pine nuts.