Tomato and vermicelli soup is one of my children’s favourite soups; not only is it delicious but it doesn’t take more than 15 minutes to prepare. I like to add cardamom pods, lots of parsley and a squeeze of lemon to give it some extra flavour. It is amazing how one of the simplest recipes happens to be amongst the family favourites. I typically make this soup during Ramadan or when the weather starts to get cool and we want something to warm us up.
Tomato & Vermicelli Soup is a delicious and healthy meal that is easy to make and perfect for any time of the year. With its unique blend of savory and sweet flavours, this soup is sure to become a family favourite.
Basic Ingredients for Tomato Vermicelli Soup
Onions: The onions add flavour and aroma to the soup.
Vermicelli Noodles: Vermicelli noodles are a thin, spaghetti-like pasta that adds texture and flavor to the soup.
Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil is used to sauté the onions and noodles. Tomato Paste: Tomato paste adds a rich, sweet flavour to the soup.
Chicken Stock: Chicken stock is the base of the soup and adds depth of flavour.
Cardamom Pods: Cardamom pods add a warm and slightly sweet flavor to the soup.
Sugar: Sugar is used to balance out the acidity of the tomato paste.
Fresh Parsley: Fresh parsley is added to give the soup a fresh, herbaceous flavour.
Lemon: Lemon wedges are served with the soup to add a fresh, tangy flavor.
- Tomato paste can be replaced with fresh tomato to have a fresher and not as concentrated taste to the soup.
- Instead of vermicelli, you can use angel hair pasta.
Serving Tips for Tomato Vermicelli Soup
- The soup should be served immediately after cooking is done.
- Buttered bread can be used to dip into the soup for a fuller feeling.
- Allow the soup to cool down to room temperature before storing it. This will prevent the formation of condensation that can lead to bacterial growth and spoilage.
- Transfer the soup to an airtight container, such as a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Make sure to place the container in the back of the refrigerator, where the temperature is most consistent and coldest.
Tomato Vermicelli Soup
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups vermicelli noodles
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ black pepper powder
- 1 lemon
- In a medium-sized pot, on medium heat, sauté the onions with vegetable oil until it turns golden brown. Add the vermicelli noodles, and sauté until it is golden brown. Add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Add the chicken stock, cardamom pods, sugar, and parsley, and combine all the ingredients together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to low heat and leave to simmer for 5 additional minutes. Season with salt and black pepper powder.
- Serve with some lemon wedges on the side.