Savour the delightful combination of crispy Chicken Escalope served alongside a bed of fresh rocket salad. This enticing dish offers a perfect balance of textures and flavours, with the tender and juicy chicken escalope coated in a crispy breadcrumb crust and the peppery rocket salad adding a vibrant and refreshing element. The succulent chicken escalope, enveloped in a golden crust, pairs harmoniously with the crisp and slightly bitter rocket leaves, creating a delightful contrast. With each bite, you’ll experience the satisfying crunch of the chicken, followed by the invigorating freshness of the rocket salad. This Chicken Escalope with rocket salad is a delightful and satisfying meal that will surely leave you craving more.
To create the perfect Chicken Escalope, start by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place each breast between two pieces of cling film and gently pound them with a rolling pin until they are about 1/4 inch thick. This process not only ensures even cooking but also tenderises the meat.
Next, prepare the breading mixture by combining toasted panko breadcrumbs with freshly grated parmesan cheese. The combination of crispy breadcrumbs and savoury parmesan adds texture and depth of flavour to the dish. In separate shallow plates, set up the flour mixture and the beaten eggs seasoned with salt and pepper. Dip each piece of chicken first in the flour, then in the eggs, and finally, coat them thoroughly with the breadcrumb-parmesan mixture.
Once the chicken is coated, it’s time to cook it to perfection. Heat a bit of oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat, then fry the chicken for about 2-3 minutes on each side until it turns golden brown and is cooked through. Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare a simple yet flavourful salad dressing. Whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, pink salt, and freshly ground pepper. This dressing adds a tangy and refreshing element to the dish, enhancing the flavours of both the chicken and the fresh arugula.
To serve, arrange the cooked chicken on a serving plate and garnish it with lemon wedges for an extra zing. Place a generous bed of fresh arugula beside the chicken and drizzle the zesty dressing over the greens. The vibrant and peppery arugula complements the crispy chicken escalope beautifully.
Chicken Escalope is best enjoyed immediately, allowing you to savour the crispy coating, tender chicken, and refreshing combination of flavours. This dish is perfect for a satisfying lunch or dinner, and it pairs well with a variety of side dishes or accompaniments.
Delight your taste buds with this Chicken Escalope recipe, where the golden-brown crispy coating meets succulent chicken, all topped with a zesty dressing and served alongside fresh arugula. Get ready to indulge in a satisfying and flavorful meal that will leave you craving more.
Basic Ingredients for Chicken Escalope
Chicken Breasts: Chicken breasts are the main ingredient in Chicken Escalope. They provide a lean and tender protein source. The chicken breasts are pounded to an even thickness, ensuring even cooking and tenderness throughout.
Fine Panko Breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are used for the crispy coating of the chicken. They create a light and crunchy texture when fried or baked. The breadcrumbs add a satisfying crunch to the dish.
Fresh Parmesan: Freshly grated parmesan cheese is combined with the breadcrumbs to enhance the flavour and add a savoury note to the coating. It provides a rich and cheesy taste to the Chicken Escalope.
Flour: Flour is used as part of the breading process. It helps the egg mixture adhere to the chicken and provides a base for the breadcrumb coating. The flour helps to create a crispy exterior.
Eggs: Beaten eggs act as a binding agent in the breading process. They help the flour and breadcrumbs adhere to the chicken, creating a cohesive and crispy coating.
Fresh Arugula: Fresh arugula serves as a bed for the Chicken Escalope. It adds a peppery and slightly bitter flavour, balancing the richness of the chicken. Arugula also provides a vibrant and fresh element to the dish.
Lemon Wedges: Lemon wedges are served alongside the Chicken Escalope, providing a burst of tangy citrus flavour. Squeezing the lemon juice over the chicken adds brightness and freshness.
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: Olive oil is the base of the dressing, providing richness and a smooth texture. It adds a fruity and slightly peppery flavour to the dressing.
Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds a tangy and zesty element to the dressing. It enhances the flavours of the chicken and arugula.
Ground Pink Salt: Pink salt provides a mild and balanced saltiness to the dressing, enhancing the overall taste of the dish.
Fresh Ground Pepper: Freshly ground black pepper adds a subtle hint of spiciness to the dressing, balancing the other flavours.
- Pound the chicken breasts between cling film to ensure they are of even thickness, allowing for even cooking.
- Toast the panko breadcrumbs in a dry pan for added crunch and flavour.
- Use separate shallow plates for flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumb coating to keep the breading process organised.
- Serve the crispy chicken escalope on a plate alongside a generous portion of fresh rocket salad.
- Drizzle the dressing over the rocket salad just before serving to avoid wilting the greens. You can also serve extra dressing on the side for those who prefer more.
- For an extra burst of flavour, garnish the dish with shaved parmesan cheese or toasted pine nuts.
- Chicken escalope is best enjoyed immediately after cooking to maintain its crispy texture. If there are leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat the chicken in a preheated oven to help restore some of its crispiness.
- The rocket salad should be consumed soon after assembly to maintain its freshness. If needed, store the salad and dressing separately in the refrigerator and combine them just before serving.
- 500 g chicken breasts
- 1 cup fine panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan, grated
- ½ grated flour
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pink salt, ground
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Prepare the Chicken: Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place each chicken breast between two pieces of cling film. Using a rolling pin, gently pound the chicken until it's about 1⁄4 inch thick.
- Prepare the Breading: In a bowl, combine the toasted panko breadcrumbs with the freshly grated parmesan. In a separate deep shallow plate, combine ½ tsp black pepper powder, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp paprika for the flour mixture. And in another separate deep shallow plate, slightly beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat the Chicken: Dip each piece of chicken first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then in the beaten eggs, and finally in the breadcrumb-parmesan mixture. Ensure each piece is thoroughly coated.
- Cook the Chicken: Heat a bit of oil and butter (optional) in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the fried chicken pieces onto a plate lined with kitchen paper. This will absorb any extra oil.
- Prepare the Salad Dressing: While the chicken is cooking, prepare the salad dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, pink salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Serve: Transfer the cooked chicken to a serving plate. Arrange fresh arugula beside it. Drizzle the dressing over the arugula and serve with lemon wedges on the side.