Saffron Salmon Kabab are a delectable and flavorful dish that combines succulent pieces of salmon with a blend of spices and zesty lime. This recipe creates a mouthwatering marinade that infuses the salmon with a rich, aromatic taste. Grilled to perfection, these skewers deliver a delightful combination of tender texture and vibrant flavours.
To prepare these scrumptious skewers, you’ll need 500 grams of skinless salmon cut into 1-inch pieces. The marinade features a pinch of ground saffron, which lends a distinct and exotic flavour, along with lime juice and zest for a refreshing citrusy twist. Additional ingredients include extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, salt, paprika powder, black pepper, and ground turmeric, which come together to create a harmonious blend of seasonings.
The first step is to combine the lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, paprika powder, black pepper, saffron, and ground turmeric in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed. Then, add the salmon pieces to the marinade, ensuring they are thoroughly coated, and let them marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, allowing the flavours to penetrate the fish.
Meanwhile, prepare your grill by heating a charcoal grill until the coals are ashed over and slightly cooled to a medium-hot temperature, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. As the grill reaches the desired temperature, skewer the marinated salmon pieces, discarding any remaining marinade.
Once the grill is ready, place the skewers on the grates and grill for about 10 minutes, turning them every couple of minutes. This cooking process ensures that the salmon becomes tender and buttery while achieving a deliciously charred exterior.
Serve these enticing Saffron Salmon Kabab as an appetiser, or pair them with a side salad Shirazi and fragrant Persian rice for a complete and satisfying meal. Whether you’re hosting a barbecue, planning a special dinner, or simply looking to add some excitement to your mealtime, Saffron Salmon Kabab are a delightful choice that will impress and satisfy all who indulge in this delectable dish.
Basic Ingredients for Saffron Salmon Kabab
Skinless Salmon: The star ingredient of these skewers, salmon provides a rich and tender texture, along with its distinct flavour. It is a good source of protein and healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Ground Saffron: Saffron adds a unique and exotic flavour to the marinade, infusing the salmon with its aromatic and slightly floral notes.
Lime Juice and Zest: Lime juice provides a tangy and refreshing element to the marinade, while the zest adds a bright, citrusy flavour. They help to enhance the overall taste and balance the richness of the salmon.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Olive oil acts as a base for the marinade, providing moisture and helping to coat the salmon pieces evenly. It also contributes a subtle fruity flavour.
Minced Garlic: Garlic adds a savoury and pungent taste to the marinade, enhancing the overall flavor profile of the dish.
Salt: Salt is a crucial seasoning that helps to bring out the natural flavours of the salmon and other ingredients.
Paprika Powder: Paprika adds a mild, smoky, and slightly sweet flavour to the marinade, enhancing the overall taste of the dish.
Black Pepper: Black pepper provides a gentle spiciness and warmth to the marinade, complementing the other flavours.
Ground Turmeric: Turmeric not only imparts a vibrant yellow colour to the salmon but also adds a mild earthiness and subtle bitterness to the overall flavour.
- Ensure that the salmon (or alternative protein) is cut into evenly sized pieces to ensure consistent cooking.
- While marinating the salmon, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent air exposure and retain maximum flavour.
- Soak the skewers for 30 minutes or more in water, this ensures that they don’t burn when grilling the skewers.
- Saffron Salmon Skewers make a great appetizer for gatherings, or you can serve them as a main course alongside a fresh salad and rice.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley for added freshness and visual appeal.
- Squeeze some additional lime juice over the skewers before serving to enhance the citrus flavour.
- Store any leftover cooked skewers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Reheat the skewers in a preheated oven or grill for a few minutes to retain their tenderness and flavour.
- It is not recommended to freeze the cooked skewers, as the texture of the salmon may be affected upon thawing.
Saffron Salmon Kabab
- 500 g skinless salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- pinch of ground saffron
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- lime zest
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Soak the skewers: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 20-30 minutes to prevent them from burning during cooking.
- Prepare the marinade: In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, lime zest, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, salt, paprika powder, black pepper, saffron, and ground turmeric. Stir well to mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Marinate the salmon: Add the salmon pieces to the marinade and toss until they are well coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the salmon and marinade to an airtight container. Place it in the refrigerator and let the salmon marinate for at least 30 minutes, allowing the flavours to meld together.
- Skewer the salmon: Preheat your grill, chargrill, or oven according to your preferred cooking method: a. For grilling: Preheat a charcoal grill until the coals are ashed over or heat a gas grill to medium-high heat. b. For chargrilling: Preheat a chargrill or grill pan over medium-high heat. c. For roasting: Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip off. Thread the marinated salmon pieces onto the soaked skewers, leaving a small gap between each piece.
- Cooking Methods: a. Grilling: Place the skewers directly on the grill grates and cook, turning them every couple of minutes, until the salmon is tender and cooked through. This usually takes about 10 minutes in total. b. Chargrilling: Place the skewers on the preheated chargrill or grill pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until the salmon is cooked through and nicely charred on all sides. This typically takes about 8-10 minutes. c. Roasting: Place the skewers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased. Roast in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve: Once the salmon is cooked to your desired doneness, remove the skewers from the heat source. Let them rest for a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. Serve the saffron salmon skewers alongside your favourite sides.
Alternative Cooking Methods:
- Instead of grilling, chargrilling, or roasting, you can also pan-sear the skewers in a hot skillet with a bit of oil until the salmon is cooked through and nicely browned on all sides.