Indulge your taste buds with a delightful fusion of flavours and textures in this scrumptious dessert – Banana Spring Rolls with Honey, Cinnamon, Ice Cream, and Toasted Walnuts. This unique twist on traditional spring rolls combines the natural sweetness of ripe bananas with the satisfying crunch of a crispy wrapper. When fried to a golden perfection, these rolls are drizzled with honey, dusted with aromatic cinnamon, and served alongside velvety vanilla ice cream. To add a final touch of decadence, we top it all off with a generous sprinkle of roughly chopped toasted walnuts. Whether you’re looking for a creative dessert for a special occasion, a fun and delicious treat for last-minute guests, or a sweet indulgence that always impresses, these Banana Spring Rolls are the perfect choice to satisfy your cravings and leave a lasting impression. So, roll up your sleeves, and let’s embark on a culinary adventure that’s sure to make any gathering a sweet success!
Basic Ingredients of Banana Spring Rolls
Ripe Bananas: They provide the main flavour and sweetness to the dish. Ripe bananas are sweeter and softer, making them easier to roll and giving a creamy texture when cooked.
Spring Roll Wrappers: These thin sheets are used to encase the bananas. They crisp up when fried, providing a delightful contrast to the soft banana inside.
Vegetable Oil: Used for frying, it cooks the spring rolls to a golden brown, ensuring a crispy exterior.
Honey: Drizzled as a topping, it enhances the sweetness of the bananas and adds a smooth, sticky texture.
Ground Cinnamon: Offers a warm, aromatic flavour that complements the sweetness of the bananas and honey.
Vanilla Ice Cream: Served alongside the spring rolls, it provides a cool, creamy contrast to the hot, crispy rolls.
Toasted Walnuts: Added for a nutty crunch, they bring a textural contrast and a slight bitterness that balances the dish’s sweetness.
Fruit Variations: Try using apple slices, pineapple chunks or event mangos and strawberries instead of bananas for a different flavour.
Different Nuts: Experiment with different nuts like almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts for added variety.
Syrups and Sauces: Maple syrup or caramel sauce can be used instead of honey.
Dairy-Free Ice Cream: For a vegan option, use a dairy-free ice cream alternative.
Gluten-Free Wrappers: Use gluten-free spring roll wrappers for those with gluten sensitivities.
Preparation Tips for Banana Spring Rolls
- Ensure the bananas are ripe but not overly soft, as firmer bananas hold their shape better during frying.
- Use fresh spring roll wrappers, and keep them covered with a damp cloth to prevent drying out while assembling.
- Seal the spring rolls tightly to prevent oil from seeping in during frying.
- Preheat the oil to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Fry the spring rolls in batches to avoid overcrowding the frying pan.
Serving Tips for Banana Spring Rolls
- Serve the banana spring rolls immediately after frying to enjoy them at their crispiest.
- Drizzle honey and sprinkle cinnamon just before serving to maintain their freshness.
- Place a scoop of ice cream next to each spring roll for a delightful contrast in temperature and texture.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts for an added crunch and flavour.
- Banana spring rolls are best enjoyed fresh. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a day. Reheat them in the oven to regain some crispness before serving.
- Do not freeze banana spring rolls, as the texture may become compromised when thawed.
Crispy Banana Spring Rolls with Vanilla Ice-cream
Banana Spring Rolls
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil, for frying
- honey, for drizzling
- ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- Prepare the Banana Spring Rolls: Lay out a spring roll wrapper on a clean surface, with one corner pointing towards you. Place a banana half near the edge closest to you. Fold the sides of the wrapper over the banana. Roll up the banana tightly, just like you would roll a burrito, ensuring there are no gaps. Prepare a flour glue – simply mix a little water with flour; seal the edge to ensure the roll stays closed. Repeat this process for the remaining banana halves.
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat some vegetable oil. Shallow fry the Banana Spring Rolls. Carefully place the banana spring rolls into the hot oil, a few at a time, to avoid overcrowding. Fry until they turn golden brown, which should take about 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the spring rolls from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- To Serve, drizzle honey over the fried banana spring rolls while they are still hot. Sprinkle a pinch of ground cinnamon over each roll for a warm, aromatic flavour. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream next to each banana spring roll on a serving plate. Top the ice cream with a generous sprinkle of roughly chopped toasted walnuts. Serve immediately while the spring rolls are crispy and the ice cream is cold.