Home-made granola is a delightful and nutritious treat that can be enjoyed as a breakfast cereal, a topping for yoghurt or smoothie bowls, or a satisfying snack on its own. This homemade version allows you to control the ingredients, flavours, and sweetness to create a personalised blend that suits your taste preferences.
The base of this granola is made with wholesome rolled oats, which provide a hearty and fibre-rich foundation. Rolled oats are not only nutritious but also give the granola a satisfying chewiness.
A variety of nuts are included in this recipe to add a delightful crunch and a dose of healthy fats. Almond flakes, whole almonds, pecans, cashews, and pistachios all contribute their unique flavours and textures, making the granola a truly satisfying treat.
Chia seeds are added for their nutritional benefits, including fibre, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants. They also lend a pleasant texture to the granola.
Coconut flakes add a touch of tropical sweetness and enhance the overall flavour profile. They also contribute a subtle crunch and hint of coconutty goodness.
To bring it all together, the granola is sweetened with maple syrup, which adds a natural sweetness and helps bind the ingredients. Coconut oil provides a slight richness and helps in achieving the desired crispness during baking. A hint of vanilla extract adds a delightful aroma and flavour.
Preparing homemade granola is simple and requires minimal effort. The dry ingredients are combined in a bowl, while the wet ingredients are mixed separately. The wet mixture is then poured over the dry ingredients and stirred until well coated. The granola is spread onto a baking sheet and baked until golden and fragrant, requiring just a few minutes of active time.
Once cooled, the homemade granola can be stored in an airtight container, preserving its freshness and crispness for several weeks. This makes it a convenient option for busy mornings or as a wholesome snack to grab on the go.
With its combination of wholesome ingredients and customisable flavours, homemade granola allows you to savour a nutritious and delicious treat. So, indulge in the joy of making your own granola and enjoy the delightful crunch, nutty flavours, and natural sweetness it offers.
Basic Ingredients for Home-made Granola
Rolled Oats: The base ingredient for granola, they’re full of fibre and give a filling, hearty texture.
Almond Flakes and Whole Almonds: They add a nice crunch and a pleasant nutty flavour. Almonds are also high in healthy fats and protein.
Pecan Halves: Similar to almonds, pecans contribute to the crunch and also add a buttery flavour.
Cashew Nuts: They offer a unique, sweet and buttery taste and an interesting texture contrast.
Pistachio Kernels: Pistachios lend a distinctive flavour and add colour to the granola.
Chia Seeds: These are a superfood packed with omega-3 fatty acids and fibre, and they give a fun little pop to the granola.
Coconut Flakes: They add a tropical flavour note and a chewy texture.
Salt: It helps balance the sweetness and enhances the overall flavour of the granola.
Maple Syrup: The primary sweetener, it also helps bind the granola together. It brings a rich, deep flavour.
Coconut Oil: It helps to bind the granola and gives it a crispy texture when baked.
Vanilla Extract: It provides a warm, comforting flavour that enhances the other ingredients.
- Make sure to mix your ingredients very well before baking to ensure the maple syrup and coconut oil evenly coat everything.
- Keep a close eye on the granola in the oven, as it can go from perfectly toasted to burnt in a short amount of time.
- Let the granola cool completely before storing it to prevent it from getting soggy.
- Serve this granola with milk or yoghurt for a simple and nutritious breakfast.
- You can also use it as a topping for fruit salads, smoothie bowls, or desserts for added texture and flavour.
- Store your granola in an airtight container at room temperature. It should stay fresh for about 2 weeks.
- You can also freeze granola. Just make sure it’s completely cool before you put it in the freezer. It can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup almond flakes
- ⅓ cup whole almond
- ⅓ cup pecans halves
- ⅓ cup cashew nuts
- ⅓ cup pistachio kernels
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. In a medium bowl, combine rolled oats, almond flakes, whole almonds, pecan halves, cashews, pistachio kernels, chia seeds, coconut flakes and salt.
- Mix maple syrup and coconut oil in a small bowl. Add vanilla extract and stir all the ingredients together. Pour this mixture over the oats and stir.
- Spread and flatten the oats mixture on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, and bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and stir the oats around. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.