Tuna melt sandwich is a classic comfort food that is loved by many. This delicious sandwich is made with a creamy tuna salad, a blend of three different kinds of cheese, and toasted bread. It’s the perfect meal for a cozy night in or a quick lunch on the go.
To make this tasty sandwich, you’ll need canned tuna, chopped parsley and coriander, green onions, celery, corn kernels, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, butter, mozzarella cheese, gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, and bread.
To prepare the tuna salad, simply combine the drained tuna, chopped herbs, green onions, celery, corn kernels, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Mix everything together until well combined.
In a separate bowl, mix together the three different grated cheeses. Butter each side of the bread slices, then spread a generous amount of the tuna salad on one slice. Add a handful of the cheese mixture on top of the tuna salad, then top with another slice of bread.
To cook the sandwich, you can either use a skillet or a panini press. If you’re using a skillet, preheat it to medium heat, then place the sandwich on the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese starts to melt and the bread is golden brown. Flip the sandwich to the other side and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is toasted to your liking.
Tuna melt is a delicious and comforting meal that’s perfect for any occasion. If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Simply reheat the sandwich in the oven or on a skillet for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
Basic Ingredients for Tuna Melt Sandwich
Parsley and Coriander: These fresh herbs add a pop of flavour and freshness to the tuna salad.
Green Onion and Celery: These vegetables add crunch and texture to the tuna salad.
Corn Kernels: Sweet corn kernels are added to the tuna salad to give it a burst of sweetness and texture.
Mayonnaise and Dijon mustard: These condiments are added to the tuna salad to bind everything together and add a creamy texture.
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is added to the tuna salad to add a tangy and bright flavour.
Salt and Pepper: To season the tuna salad.
Butter: Butter is used to toast the bread and give it a deliciously crispy texture.
Mozzarella Cheese, Gruyere Cheese, and Cheddar Cheese: These three kinds of cheese are combined and added to the sandwich to give it a rich and indulgent flavour.
Bread: Sliced bread is used as the base for the sandwich.
Tuna: You could use fresh tuna instead of canned, or you could substitute it with canned salmon or chicken.
Herbs and Vegetables: You could use different herbs and vegetables, such as dill, basil, or red onion, to add different flavors and textures to the tuna salad.
Cheese: You could use any type of cheese that melts well,
Bread: You could use any type of bread, such as sourdough, rye, or whole wheat, depending on your preference.
Preparation Tips for Tuna Melt Sandwich
- To get the best results, make sure to drain the canned tuna well before mixing it with the other ingredients. You can also adjust the seasoning to your liking by adding more or less salt and pepper.
Serving Tips for Tuna Melt Sandwich
- Tuna melt can be served on its own or with a side of fries, chips, or a salad. You can also add other toppings to the sandwich, such as sliced tomatoes, pickles, or avocado, to give it an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat the sandwich, you can either use the oven or a skillet and heat it until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
Tuna Melt Sandwich
- 3 cans of Tuna, drained
- 3 tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Green onion, finely chopped
- ½ Celery stick, finely chopped
- ¼ Cup corn kernels
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- ⅓ Cup butter, room temperature
- ½ Cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ Cup gruyere cheese, grated
- ¾ Cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 Slices of bread
- In a medium size bowl combine, drained tuna, chopped parsley, coriander,green onions, celery, corn, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. Mix together and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the three pieces of cheese and keep aside.
- Butter each side of each bread slice. Top with approximately 1/2 cup of tuna salad, and a handful of three cheese mixture. Top with another slice of bread.
- Skillet method: Preheat a skillet to medium heat. Place the sandwich on the skillet and heat for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese starts to melt and it is golden brown. Flip to the other side and cook until the cheese is fully melted and the sandwich is golden brown.